So baking probably doesn't count as cooking but this recipe was something I'd never tried so why not throw it into the Foodie Challenge 2011? Last night we had a Valentine's Day "Red" themed party and I was in charge of desserts. First thing that comes to mind when you think red dessert? Duh, red velvet cake. But everyone knows how to bake a cake, so I decided to make it a little interesting and found a recipe for Red Velvet Cake Truffles. They were super fun to make and easy enough to do while conquering another project at the same time [I was also working on a DIY for a guest post that you'll see soon]
Here are the ingredients and directions before we get into the photo heavy part of this post...
1 box of Red Velvet cake mix
16 oz can of Cream Cheese Frosting
2 - 12 oz bags of chocolate/white chocolate
1. Bake red velvet cake mix according the the box directions. Allow the cake to cool completely
2. Break up the cake into large chunks and grind in a food processor until fine crumbs [you can just use your hands if you don't have a food processor.... a magic bullet will work just fine as well :) ]
3. Put cake crumbs in a large bowl along with the cream cheese frosting and mix together well
4. Roll cake/frosting mix into small balls and place on wax paper on a baking sheet
5. Refridgerate cake balls for several hours or put in freezer to speed things up [you'll want the balls cold before you dip them in chocolate]
6. Melt chocolate according to package directions and using a fork and spoon, cover balls in chocolate and place back on the baking sheet
7. Place balls back int he refrigerator for about 30 minutes so chocolate hardens
8. Take balls out and drizzle red icing over the cake balls
9. Put on a pretty plate and enjoy!
Look how pretty they are! These we so fun to make and perfect for Valentine's Day. They'd also be awesome for a wedding if you did a dessert bar instead of a wedding cake. If you add a popsicle stick you have those oh-so popular cake pops!
If you end up trying this, I'd love to see the links in the comment section! And don't forget to enter the giveaway! It ends tomorrow!